My Presentation

Transcendental Awesumitude by dospaz at Flickr.com

Step 1 – Summary of Project

In my class I was asked to create a presentation about myself to help people get to know more about me, understand who I am and to improve my presenting skills.  We watched different helpful videos to help us create an effective presentation. I learned helpful things about technology and tips on making the process go faster. I worked on brainwriting, brainstorming and putting my ideas on a storyboard so that creating my slide show was easier.  I also learned about how powerful my voice and non-verbal expressions are and how to use them properly and effectively.

Step 2 – What is Good Presentation?

To create a good presentation, you need to first get into the child’s/beginners state of mind so you can come up with more possibilities. You should get off the grid and take a break from technology when brain writing. Write down your goals and what is important for this presentation. Identify the core message. You should think about what the point is and why it matter. Use restraint to keep the preparation simple. Then you can brainstorm and create your storyboard. Give your presentation a good story with everything having to do with the main idea/core message.

Step 3 – Brainwriting and Brainstorming Ideas

Brainwriting is a way of independently getting all of your ideas onto paper in a web. To make your web, write down the main idea/point of the presentation in the middle of a piece of paper and draw a circle around it. Then write all of your other ideas around that circle and connect them. Brainwriting is mainly for introverts who will use that quiet and alone time well to get their ideas out. Brainstorming is something  you do after you are finished brainwriting. Brainstorming is sharing the ideas that you wrote down with a small group of people. When you brainstorm, you are helping others as well as yourself. You are gaining and sharing ideas with others. Brainstorming is mainly for extroverts who will work well with others to create their presentation.

Step 4 – Creating the Storyboard

Storyboarding is a helpful way of organizing your presentation slide by slide on a piece of paper. It makes actually building the slideshow easier and quicker to do when you have the story board done.

CC image IMG_6375 by Cassy1645
CC image IMG_6376 by Cassy1645

Step 5 – Gathering and Citing Images

A copyright is an authors legal right that says you can use or show their work. If you use a creators work with out their copyright, this is plagiarism. The Creative Commons is a place where authors share their work and you don’t need to ask special permission to use it. You just need to give them credit when you cite your sources so people know who that media belongs to. We use the Creative Commons because we don’t need to get special copyright permission from the author to use their works. Citing your images or media is important because we always want to give the author credit.

When we cite our sources, we must include the date we accessed that picture, the site we got it from, the author/photographers name and the pictures name. Using that information, we need to put our sources into MLA format, put them in alphabetical order and then insert them at the end of out blog.

Step 6 – Creating the Master Slide

The master slide is a slide that edits all the other slides. When you make changes to the master slide, all of the other slides will change to match it. Using the master slide makes things easier, more convenient and quicker.

CC image master slide by Cassy1645

Step 7 – Building the Slide Show

If you have the story board done, then creating your slide show should be very easy. You just copy everything from your story board onto your slide show. You don’t need to put in your pictures in yet, just get down everything that needs to be there in words. This will make everything so much easier when you actually put your media in because you will know where everything is supposed to go.

CC image Screen shot by Cassy1645

Step 8 – Sharing the Slide Show

https://www.slideshare.net/secret/domlipQ5X7GA2l

Once I created my slideshow, I uploaded it onto Slideshare.net and then embedded it into this blog post. I did this because it’s an easy way for someone reading this blog post to access my presentation.

Step 9 – Preparing to Present/Pitch

We all have a very powerful voice that can get a point across easily so if we use our voice correctly, out presentation/pitch will do great. When pitching/presenting we must remember that our posture/body language and non-verbal expressions matter.  If you are in a more spread out posture, that looks prideful and confident. If you are in a small, huddled up posture, that shows that we are not as confident and powerful. When presenting, we need to be confident or our core message/idea will not get to the audience as effectively. People want to follow and listen to someone who is powerful. Power is effected on how you deal with stress. When we are feeling powerful, we are more likely to gamble and take risks. Our non-verbal expressions effect our audience and how we feel about ourselves. So when presenting, keep in mind non-verbal expressions.

Step 10 – What I Learned

While doing this project, I learned very important skills to help me create great presentations, become a better presenter and get my point across. I learned some interesting things about how the brain functions and processes information. I learned how to properly cite my sources and create a slide show more effectively.